Fiberglass hand-held live-line insulating tool testing
Our High Voltage Test Lab offers both testing and maintenance services for common fiberglass hand-held live-line insulating tools. Examples of these tools include: hotsticks, pruning sets, shotgun stick.
Testing and maintenance for these tools is governed by ASTM F3121/F3121M.
Inspection and field care
You are responsible for proper handling of fiberglass live-line insulating tools. This means they should be stored in a clean, dry environment and secured to prevent rubbing and scratching.
You are also responsible for continual visual inspection which includes looking for:
- Cuts, scratches, dents, etc.
- Damaged mechanical components
- Deterioration of the glossy surface
- Electrical tracking and burn marks
You can ensure the finish is maintained by:
- cleaning the stick with a soft cloth prior to use
- Wax or use a silicone cloth as required to maintain the glossy finish
Inspection, servicing & testing at the high voltage test lab
The ASTM standard (ASTM F3121/F3121M) requires electrical testing and formal examination of your tools at least every 2 years.
Our inspection process involves:
- Comprehensive physical inspection of the fiberglass stick and its mechanical components
- Cleaning and rewaxing the fiberglass
- Dry and wet electrical testing
We also offer additional services like:
- Refinishing damaged fiberglass sticks to restore the original finish
- Repairing and replacing mechanical components
- Assembly of custom fiberglass products